Friday, February 23, 2007

They like me, they really like me!

Well, they don't necessarily like me. They like it. My committee, that is, liked my latest dissertation chapter. Now, the last time I met with them, I cried. In front of them. So I was understandably a little nervous about this most recent meeting, especially because I couldn't tell if my chapter was good or bad. I thought it was good but I was so close to it that I didn't know anymore. Imagine my joy when Prof. R said, "I loved the part where..."

Other things or people that like me (or things about me):

  • My friend SJ! She just drove down from Rochester, MN to see a Joseph and the Amazing Technicolor Dreamcoat with handsome hubby and I. We have been friends for 10 years, and she is (and has) the most lovely soul. She is a wonderful listener, and a wonderful friend to the diabetic me. When we travel, she travels with candy for my low blood sugars just in case. She makes me check my sugar. She asks, "is that enough" if she thinks I'm skimping on food. But she does it in such a SJ way that I don't feel harassed or babysat. And it's very few people who manage that.
  • My nieces and nephews. All 12 of 'em.
  • My hubby, who apparently likes me enough to stay married to me even though I am at my most insecure, annoying, neurosis period in our marriage. Ever.
  • My students. One even emailed me to tell me that yesterday's exam was "good." Whatever that means!
  • My blood sugars. I've been in the 80s-170s...except for...

Things that don't like me so much:

  • My insulin pump, or the cannulas, or something. Hence,
  • My blood sugars. After changing out my pump on Wed., I woke up 2 hours later trying not to toss my cookies and at a stunning 501. I of course shot up and changed again, only to be 466 at 7 am. With a purple pee-stick. And then higher. And then 300. And then, after rage bolusing my heart out, 62. Whereupon I rose above 100 only once the whole evening and have in the course of the last 24 hours been on the low end ever since.
  • The scale. I've gained 3 pounds since Feb. 1st. My motivation to get the gym went the way of corded telephones. And my motivation to watch what I eat? Well...

2 comments:

Scott K. Johnson said...

Hey Nic,

Great news on the dissertation chapter! Way to go!

Sorry that you've been fighting pump stuff! I'm sure you'll get it straightened out soon enough, but it still sucks to go through.

Take care!

Chrissie in Belgium said...

The pluses certainly outweighed the minuses! Happy for you about your dissertation!